What is Microneedling?
The visible signs of aging we see are actually located in the deeper layers of skin. These signs of aging can include brown and red spots, wrinkles and lines and rough texture. Typically, it is very difficult to reach these layers with home skin care products. As a result, most skin care creams are not as effective as promised.
Microneedling gives your skin care provider a means to access these deeper layers of skin. Microneedling utilizes a series of small needles that are designed to penetrate into the deeper layers of skin. These needles form small channels that have 2 purposes. The first is collagen induction therapy. The needle causes a small wound in the deep layer that induces formation of the building block of skin, collagen. New collagen will soften wrinkles and lines as well as improve elasticity.
The second effect of the microneedling channels, is to provide access to the deeper layers of skin. This allows special serums and agents to actually access where the damage is. This can treat hyperpigmentation and roughness.
So what are Microneedling Benefits?
The microneedling benefits are many. First, it can be performed painlessly, in-office and can be repeated every 4-6 weeks. The other microneedling benefits are:
- Collagen stimulation leading to reduction of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Skin rejuvenation by stimulating new collagen production.
- Improve appearance of acne scars by collagen stimulation.
- Improve appearance of stretch marks by collagen stimulation.
- Reduce hyperpigmentation (brown spots) by allowing skin lightening agents to access the pigment.
- Reduce age spots by stimulating loss of upper layers of skin.
- Improve appearance of rosacea by stimulating collagen.
- Reduce enlarged pores by stimulating collagen and thickening the skin.
- Reduce acne by allowing acne treatment to reach the deeper layers of skin.
- Encourage hair growth by stimulating follicles with Microneedling PRP.
What about at home Microneedling?
Microneedling is possible at home. However, you skin care provider has microneedles that are longer and able to actually access the deeper layers of skin. Professional microneedling also utilizes safe skin care agents specifically designed for your deeper layers of skin.
Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP, is extracted from a blood sample. PRP consists of a host of growth and rejuvenation factors naturally produced by your body. The microchannels created by microneedling are perfects to allow the PRP placed on the surface of the skin to access the deeper layers. PRP increases many microneedling benefits via collagen stimulation like reducing wrinkles, brown spots, scars and encouraging hair growth.